- Managing director and principal technologist of strategic technology consultancy with active engagements in wireless technology, regulatory matters, and IPR.
- Holds a Working Group executive position in IEEE 802.15 and IEEE 802.24. Active voting member of IEEE-SA. Former member and voting representative to TIA.
- Serving as co-founder and Chief Technical Officer of the UWB Alliance, an industry alliance formed to promote and protect the technology.
Prior positions include senior level technical leadership and management positions in smart energy systems, wireless systems development, imaging systems, informatics, telecommunications infrastructure and test equipment, software development, professional services, and aerospace.
- Extensive experience with wireless technologies, protocols, and standards:
- Analysis, specification, and design of a wide variety of wireless technologies;
- A leading-edge innovator in wireless technologies including Ultra-wideband (UWB), millimeter wave;
- Baseband specification, design, and implementation;
- Deployment planning and field support;
- Network analysis and design validation;
- 20+ years in communications systems.
- Development of communication standards:
- Contributor to IEEE 802 standards in multiple working groups (802.1,802.3, 802.11, 802.15, 802.16, 802.19, 802.24);
- Member of IEEE 802.15 Working Group Technical Experts Group (TEG);
- Member of IEEE 802 Wireless Executive Committee;
- Vice Chair IEEE 802.24 Vertical Applications Technical Advisory Committee ;
- Chair Sub-1GHz Coexistence Task Group, IEEE 802.19 Working Group;
- Vice Chair, Enhanced UWB Task Group, IEEE 802.15 Working Group;
- Contributor to other IEEE standards development groups;
- Contributor to standards in TIA, ANSI, ISO, IETF, Bluetooth SIG, USB-IF.
- Development of smart energy standards and systems technology:
- Initiator of P802.15.4g PHY standard for smart utility networks;
- Original member, NIST industrial to grid (I2G) Domain Expert Working Group;
- Contributor to NIST vehicle to grid Domain Expert Working Group;
- Contributor to IEEE standards in information and power engineering societies;
- Contributor to Wi-SUN Alliance PHY layer specification, Field Area Network specifications;
- Lead developer of the reference implementation of the Wi-SUN FAN protocol stack.
- Capable technology ad strategic leader, with tactical experience engineering, project and general management with a proven record of technology innovation and successful product development in consumer electronics, communications, energy, and aerospace.
- Success leading multi-disciplinary teams to successful project completion:
- Multiple IC design completions;
- IC through large scale networked systems experience;
- Enterprise scale software product development and deployment;
- Successful deployments in multiple application spaces and markets;
- Product lifecycle experience from concept through customer support.
- Experience with regulatory processes and procedures:
- Developing new regulations, interpretations and conformance procedures;
- Product conformance test and certification (regulatory and standards).
- Experience with IPR evaluation and execution.
- Entrepreneurial experience in various roles including founder, CEO, CTO, board member and advisor. Coach and mentor to entrepreneurs at stages from pre-funding to maturity.
|May 2018 to Present||Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer||Ulta-Wideband Alliance
Los Gatos, California
The UWB Alliance is a global not-for-profit organization that will collectively establish UltraWideband (UWB) technology as an open-standards industry. It serves to promote large-scale deployments and protect the millions of installed devices globally from encroaching radio technologies. It will drive growth through end-to-end, vendor-agnostic interoperability programs that will provide an accurate location, navigation, tracking, security, imaging, sensing, and communication to IoT and Industry 4.0 applications across multiple industries.
As CTO, is responsible guiding technical aspects of regulatory and standards activity, and for developing the interoperability programs including specifications, validation and certification; Guides regulatory working group in developing contributions to regulatory bodies, Standards Development Organizations, and other industry alliances. Guides technical working groups in the development of specifications and related conformance programs. Advise the Chairman and Board on technical matters and assist in organization, development, and growth of the Alliance.
|May 2001 to Present||Founder, Strategic Technology Consultant||Blind Creek Associates
Los Gatos, California
Provide strategic technology consulting: technology assessment, strategic analysis, standards development, project/product planning, and execution. Focused on advanced Energy, Smart Grid, RF and wireless technologies and protocols, GPS, media, telecommunications and supporting technologies. On behalf of BCA clients, have served as interim VP and CEO for wireless startup companies. Current projects include developing a strategy for regulatory compliance, development of standards, specifications in industry alliances, design, implementation, and testing of a reference implementation of the Wi-SUN protocol stack, business development, launch of an industry alliance, and other technical consulting roles.
Past projects include smart energy systems and standard development, wireless communication system analysis, network design, and deployment planning for utility wireless networks, development of numerous standards, and development of new regulatory conformance methods, conformance test and approval of products in multiple regulatory domains, and technology assessment and strategic planning.
Currently active in IEEE standards association LMSC (802) in developing standards, regulatory policy contributions, and smart grid advisory contributions. Currently positions in 802.15 working group include wireless treasury co-treasurer, vice chair for the 802.15 maintenance standing committee, working group chairs Technical Expert Group, and member of wireless leadership executive committee, active in 802.18 Regulatory TAG, vice chair of 802.24 Smart Grid TAG, acting vice-chair task group 4z, co-treasurer of the 802 wireless treasury. Past instigator of multiple amendments to 802.15.4, including the 802.15.4g task group for Smart Utility Network wireless physical layer standard and 802.15.4k task group for Critical Infrastructure Monitoring; lead contributor for combined proposal; significant contributor and assistant technical editor 802.15.4e MAC enhancements task group, and many other amendments to 802.15.4; major contributor to revisions to 802.15.3 and 802.15.4; leadership roles in numerous task groups.
Past representative to Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) TR-51 technical committee developing layer 1 through layer 4 standards for Smart Utility Networks and member of the regulatory and policy working group; Representative to Wi-SUN alliance (past and current); Founding member NIST Industry to Grid Domain Expert Working Group, and contributor to NIST PAP2 and PAP10.
Current clients include companies involved in Consumer electronics, Smart Grid systems, internet of things, large scale network systems, and communications systems development/deployment.
Past client projects include regulatory conformance program setup, field area network planning and design validation, large scale media production and distribution networks, wireless ICs and supporting products including 802.11, 802.15.4, Bluetooth, Wireless-USB, wireless positioning systems, and others, advanced informatics software products and professional services, and large scale wide area process monitoring and control products and applications. Blind Creek has completed many projects for clients that require innovation and creativity; we have helped clients to begin projects so as to avoid pitfalls and problems, and also to salvage ongoing projects that are in trouble.
|January 2008 to December 2012||Founder, Systems||Element Energy Systems|
Developed overall system architecture for innovative energy management technology. Developed concept for autonomous cell-level monitoring, control, and coordination in multi-cell packs using a distributed control and communication model. Validated technology concepts, performed cost/benefit and feasibility analysis, developed technology roadmap and lead design and implementation of the initial prototype. Applied innovative systems approach to create a new category of energy storage management products. Developed company’s foundation IP and patent filings. As a founder, developed business plans, strategy, fund-raising and evangelizing the technology and company. Managed engineering efforts in the early stages. Element Energy Systems was acquired by Volterra Semiconductor in December 2012.
|March 2006 to October 2006||VP of Engineering||Aether Wire and Location|
Directed engineering efforts for the development of ultra-wideband (UWB) low rate communication and precision location integrated circuit. Directed software, systems and hardware development, integrating the Aether Wire technology with ARM processor core, interfaces and support logic into a single chip solution. Taped out multiple versions. Managed proof of concept collaboration with a major telecommunications R&D company. Contributed to business development, strategic planning, and pursuit of funding. Supported the acquisition of company IP by another company.
|November 2003 to January 2006||Principal, Co-Founder, VP of Engineering||InSilico Discovery, Inc.|
Guided the application of academic research in informatics, combined with commercial enterprise scale and internet software technologies, to create the pioneering commercial product (discoveryHub™) in use by GE Healthcare, Glaxo Smith Kline, Merck, Amgen, and others. Leveraged internet and web technologies to create new query management technology. Established an engineering process for product generation and delivery; developed OEM strategy and relationships; created product demonstrations and completed proof of concept projects; assessed and addressed customer requirements and created solution architectures; created support and professional services organizations (w/GE). Technology acquired by Amersham Biosciences, which was acquired by GE Healthcare.
|June 2000 to April 2001||Director of Engineering
Software and MAC Development
|Fantasma Networks, Inc.
Mountain View, California
Responsible for digital baseband IC development (through MAC layer) for high rate, low-cost UWB chipset. Created and lead software and MAC development team; coordinated and directed digital hardware development, integration and test efforts; Technical contributor for design and implementation; contributed to the product roadmap, standards strategy, and FCC regulatory efforts. Fantasma acquired by Pulse-Link.
|February 1992 to June 2000||Director, Remote Test Systems
Principal Software Engineer
Telecommunications test equipment developer and manufacturer. Participated in transitioning company to a mature vendor. Applied commodity technology to create new product platforms, new product lines, and business areas. Managed all engineering related to the Remote Test Systems (RTS) product line, including software, hardware, testing and support; co-creator of the RTS group and products; Software architect for the common software platform used in the majority of Sage products; performed overall system architecture, design, software/hardware tradeoffs, planning, cost/schedule analysis and risk assessment/mitigation strategy; established design goals, specific guidelines, standards and procedures for software development lifecycle; investigated new technologies for potential application to Sage products, including emerging high bandwidth delivery methods and related services, such as integrated data/voice services, wireless local loop services, voice over IP, and mobile wireless services. Created pioneering products for telecommunications service test and analysis including signaling analysis (in-band, CAS and ITU signaling systems), broadband service commissioning, and large scale network test systems (wireline and wireless). Authored embedded code, signal processing algorithms, and contributed to FPGA designs and implementations; conducted hardware and mechanical design for product prototypes; worked with sales and marketing to establish product roadmap, required capabilities, and features; served as the primary technical contact with key customers and prospects, including pre-sales requirements determination and post-deployment support.
|Information on positions prior to 1992 availabiel upon request|
Prior positions include technical and leadership positions in aerospace with emphasis on navigation and guidance systems, avionics system architectures, digital imaging and signal processing (8 years); start-up experience in image processing algorithms and product implementation; consulting on the application of advanced digital signal processing to medical imaging.
- Major contributor technical editor, IEEE Std. 802.15.4a-2007 (UWB precision ranging)
- Contributor to IEEE Std. 802.15.4c-2009 (Extensions for operation in China)
- Contributor to IEEE Std. 802.15.4d-2009 (Extensions for operation in Japan)
- Major contributor to IEEE Std. 802.15.4-2011 (2nd revision)
- Major contributor to IEEE Std. 802.15.4e-2012 (MAC enhancements)
- Contributor to IEEE Std. 802.15.4f-2012 task group (Low Rate UWB, RFID)
- Instigator, major contributor to IEEE Std. 802.15.4g-2012 (Smart Utility Networking)
- Significant Contributor to IEEE Std. 802.15.4j-2013 (Medical Band operation)
- Major contributor and vice-chair, to IEEE Std. 802.15.4k-2013 (LECIM)
- Major contributor, contributing editor, IEEE Std. 802.15.4m-2013 (Whitespace)
- Task group vice-chair, Major Contributor, 802.15.4-2015 (3rd revision)
- Contributing editor to IEEE Std. 802.15.4u-2016 (operation in India)
- Major contributor to 802.15.3-2016 (1st revision)
- Contributor to IEEE Std. 802.15.4v-2017 (multi-region operation)
- Major contributor, IEEE Std. 802.15.3e-2017 (High Data Rate Proximity Communications)
- Task group Chair and Technical Editor, IEEE Std. 802.15.3f (Millimeter Wave band extension)
- Currently acting vice-chair, 802.15.4z task group (Enhancements to UWB ranging)
- Currently a member of 802.15 Technical Expert Group (TEG), which assists task groups in developing amendments and new standards. TEG advises task groups on the process, technical consistency with base standards, and technical issues as required.
- Currently chair 802.19 Sub-1GHz Coexistence Interest Group
- Currently co-Treasurer, 802 wireless treasury, and voting member Wireless Executive Committee
University of California, Irvine, BS, Information and Computer Science.
University of California, Los Angeles, Post-graduate study in Systems Engineering and Aeronautical Engineering.
University of Southern California, Post-graduate study in Systems Engineering with emphasis on digital imaging and digital signal processing.